Tuesday 8 November 2011

Ciao Bella! Sarah Clark visits Rome for Glamour


Sarah worked on this story for Glamour Magazine for the August edition. After having recently visiting Rome myself, and being a  bit obsessed with it, I asked her about the shoot and thought we could put a few tips together of places to stay and go to…

Here’s what Sarah had to say:

“It was a 'Pre-Season' story, which basically means the collections that go into the stores after the Spring/Summer collections and before the Winter collections (sounds obvious now!).

Also known as the 'Fall' collections. They are often a taster of what you can expect from the designers for their main Winter collections. I noticed that there were a lot of great prints around, so that was my starting point for the story. I was particularly inspired by the Marni collection, and loved the way the prints were all mismatched and clashing. I wanted it to have a fun feel, but also still be ladylike (a slightly eccentric lady perhaps??). I also loved the hats and the socks and clompy wooden soled shoes. I loved it all!

My rail in the Glamour fashion cupboard looked a bit like a charity shop, but I knew (well, hoped anyway) that once the outfits were on the model and in situ in Rome, the clothes would really come to life. I loved the idea of shooting in Rome (the locations, the light, the mood...), but also liked the idea of shooting something more unexpected (i.e. not a 'Roman Holiday' story). I wanted it to feel like the model was a tourist on a quick tour of Rome, cramming in all the sights. 

It was the best trip ever! We had so much fun. Amazing team, amazing weather, amazing food!! One of my most memorable trips for Glamour and also my last, so great to end on a high. I will miss working with Pamela. She's incredible.”

See the full story here.


Rome Tips:

Stay: The Il Palazetto Hotel on the Spanish Steps. Owned by the Hassler – benefit from the Old School glamour of the Hassler yet staying in a boutique hotel. Perfect. 

See: As well as the many sights in Rome, if you are there before the 23rd November, it’s worth checking out the Mario Testino Todo O Nada Exhibition – 54 amazing images beautifully presented. Great merchandise of posters, postcards, cards and books available. 

Drink: Bar Del Fico in Piazza Del Fico is a lovely little bar with good snacks. It was recommended by two separate and very different people. Perfect afternoon stop and quite lively at night with a cool crowd of young and old (playing chess outside), mismatched chairs and tables and kitsch bits and pieces. We found ourselves accidentally there a few times! Oops.

Eat: The Filippo La Mantia restaurant at the Hotel Majestic has fantastic food using no garlic, butter or onions. Gorgeous Art Deco setting and delicious. A real treat. 



No comments:

Post a Comment